Q NYC Housing Court General FAQs
What are My Options as Landlord in NYC Housing Court?
Landlords/owners start cases in Housing Court to:
- Collect rent; and to
- Evict tenants and roommates.
What are My Options as Tenant in NYC Housing Court?
Tenants start cases in Housing Court to:
- Get repairs;
- Move back in after an eviction; or to
- Stop harassment by the landlord/owner.
What May a Housing Court Judge Do?
A Housing Court Judge can order:
- rent to be paid;
- Tenant to vacate an apartment;
- Tenant to reoccupy an apartment;
- Repairs; or
- Money due to the tenant from the landlord/owner on counterclaims.
What are the Fees Associated with Housing Court?
Housing court fees vary with complexity of case and financial resources of the Plaintiff; however, the following fees generally apply:
- $45.00 to start a case; &
- $70.00 if you ask for a jury trial.